LOWER BACK PAIN
The lower back lumbar region is an intricate structure of interconnected and overlapping elements.The lower back has numerous valuable functions in the body.These include structural support (as it supports the weight of the upper body) ,mobility as well as protection of vital body tissues and organs.
Lower back pain results from numerous factors including:
COMMON CAUSES OF LOWER BACK PAIN
* Postural disorders
* Overuse injuries or lumbar strains which are stretch injuries to ligament,tendon or muscles resulting in microscopic tears in these tissues to varying degrees..
* Lumbar Radiculopathy or Discogenic syndrome which is a nerve irritation that is caused by damage to the discs between the vertebrae.
* Degenerative joint disorders such as osteoarthritits
* Bony Encroachment-When growth of the vertebrae of the lumbar spine limits the space of adjacent spinal cord and nerves.Causes of bony encroachment of spinal nerves include foraminal narrowing,Spinal Stenosis (compression of the nerve roots or spinal cord by bony spurs or other soft tissues in the spinal canal )andSponylolisthesis (slippage of one vertebrae relative to another).
* Scoliosis which is an abnormal curvature of the spine
* Congenital bone disorders such as Spina bifida.
COMMON TREATMENT FOR LOWER BACK PAIN:
Each patient obviously needs to be individually assessed ,evaluated and managed in the context of the underlying background health status and activity level to determine the relevent treatment but common treatment techniques include:
* Analgesic medication
* Anti-inflammatory medication(NSAID)
* Corticosteroid injections
* Acupuncture/dry needling
* Manual therapy/manipulation/soft tissue massage
* Exercise therapy and postural rehabilitation
* Surgical interventions.ie. lumbar fusion,discectomy laminectomy ,radiofrequency neuotomy,lumbar decompression.
PROLOTHERAPY FOR LOWER BACK PAIN
Prolotherapy is an injection therapy used to treat connective tissue.Most disc disorders i.e.herniated discs,bulging discs,degenerated discs often result from ligament injuries or instabilities along the spine
This is why Prolotherapy can play such a pivotal role in its healing.Prolotherapy works to stabilise the ligaments of the spine allowing discs to get back into position and can potentially increase joint space lost due to degeneration.
Click here to read further about Dr Hauser’s research on Lower back pain andprolotherapy.
7 POWER FOODS TO POWER UP YOUR LIFE THIS FESTIVE SEASON .
CLICK here to read more.